By Nettie Cronish, Culinary Instructor & Cookbook Author
Delicious hot or cold. Makes: 6 servings
- 1 cup Fairtrade certified basmati rice
- 1 Fairtrade certified cinnamon stick
- 2 cups Vanilla soymilk
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- 6 cups Sliced or small cubed fruit: Fairtrade certified banana, Fairtrade certified orange, melon, berries, pear, kiwi
- 15 Nuts, shelled and chopped
- Rinse rice well. Cover it with cold water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain.
- Combine the rice, cinnamon stick and soymilk in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until the soymilk has been absorbed. Add coconut milk. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until milk has been absorbed.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Place cooked rice in a large bowl. Fold the fruit into the rice, garnish with nuts and serve immediately.
Register your step for Fair Trade at fairtrade.ca/step