By Nettie Cronish, Culinary Instructor & Cookbook Author
The best way to use over ripe bananas. Makes 1 loaf.
· 1 cup (250mL) mashed Fairtrade certified bananas (the riper the better)
· 1/2 cup (125mL) buttermilk or yogurt
· 1 tsp (5mL) baking soda
· 1/2 cup (125mL) butter
· 1 cup (250mL) Fairtrade certified brown sugar
· 1 egg
· 1 tsp (5mL) pure Fairtrade certified vanilla extract or vanilla paste
· 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour or Nutriblend flour or half and half.
· 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
1. Combine bananas with buttermilk and baking soda in a bowl.
2. Beat butter with brown sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. In another bowl combine flour with baking powder. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk/bananas beginning and ending with flour. If you do this in a food processor add all the buttermilk/bananas to the butter mixture and blend and then briefly blend in flour.
4. Transfer to a buttered loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350F/180C oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
5. Remove from pan, let cool and enjoy!